Attention: taking a selfie stick is not longer allowed!. Find more information about the regulations to visit Machu Picchu here!.
Due the increasing number of people visiting Machu Picchu, the local authorities in Cusco have announced a series of prohibitions for visitors going to Machu Picchu that apply to tourists and tour guides.
These have the purpose of guaranteeing both, the physical integrity of the visitors and the conservation of the natural and cultural heritage of the Inca citadel.
By a ministerial resolution it has been determined that as of July 1, 2017, the following conduct within the enclosure is prohibited:
- To carry backpacks or bags that exceeds the following measures: 40 × 35 × 20 centimeters. These must remain in the wardrobe that is located at the entrance of the Inca Citadel.
- Enter with food and utensils.
- Enter illegal substances, alcoholic beverages and aerosols.
- Porting umbrellas (hats, caps and raincoats are allowed).
- Carrying tripods, stands or extensions for cameras, cell phones or other elements for filming and taking photos (this also applies to selfie sticks); unless previously authorized by the authorities of Cusco.
- Enter with animals, except guide dogs.
- Musical instruments, megaphones, speakers.
- Enter with baby cars (only accessible with baby backpacks that don’t have metal frames), wear heels or hard-shoe shoes (only allowed with shoes or running shoes), sharps and / or weapons of any kind, Rods with a metal tip; As well as clothing intended for advertising purposes.
- Causing turmoil or generating disorder while accessing Machu Picchu, as well as climbing or leaning on walls and/or structures.
- Touch, move or remove lithic elements, or make graffiti.
- Disturbing, collecting or extracting native flora or fauna and / or cultural elements.
- Do activities that imply the deterioration of Machu Picchu, its natural environment and / or facilities.
- Smoking or use electronic cigarettes.
- Do not respect established circuits or routes.
- Feed wild animals of Machu Picchu.
- Fly over with paragliders, drones or any kind of smaller craft.
- Shooting or photographing for advertising purposes or in high risk places.
- Illegal entry to Machu Picchu by entrances or routes not allowed.
The regulation specifies that the non-compliance will determine the expulsion of Machu Picchu without the right to refund the amount of the entry ticket.
Please take precautions for your visit!. For more details, feel free to contact us.
Contact Peru Trip Advisors
Toll Free USA and Canada: 1-888-228-2221